Monday, December 17, 2007

Raising Children

It's becoming clear to me why God has set up families the way He has. Raising kids is an incredible picture of my relationship with Him and yesterday was no exception.

I've been having a battle with my son because when he wants something he likes to scream, hit, whine, cry, and demand it. We are trying to teach him that when he wants something he needs to do the sign for "please" (rub his hand on his chest). He doesn't talk yet, but clearly understands simple commands. He knows how to sign "please" and when he is in a good mood he will oblige, but yesterday I struggled with him for an hour because he refused to obey.

Sometimes I wonder if God doesn't feel the same way about us. He wants us to do something simple like be faithful in church, tithe regularly, or read our Bible daily but we refuse to do it. When we encounter difficult times we fail to see that maybe God is allowing those times to come into our lives to get our attention, and instead we chalk it up to "tough luck" or some other nonsense. What if God is saying, "If you just will obey me, I could start blessing you again!" I wonder how many of us are like my son, and how difficult God will have to allow our lives to get before He gets our attention. As for me, I don't intend to find out.

2 comments:

Theresa's Notes said...

I understand what your talking about, as for the little tantrums children sometimes do. But the comparison you made was very thought provoking. thanks for posting it.

David said...

Thank you! It was thought provoking to me too. I often train and discipline my kids one way, but expect God to treat me totally differently. Working with my son made me stop and think, "Why would God be any different with me, if He's my Heavenly Father?" I think many of us like to think that God is long suffering and isn't that active in discipline when we get off track, but when I read the Bible I'm not sure that's the case. I think more than likely we just don't connect the hard times in our lives to God's discipline. I'm glad you liked the post.

Disclosure Policy